Feast
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gallery

FAQ on IRC chat Empty
Similar topics
Feast

Feast Staffs

(OWNER) 

Google

(HOSTS)

wh0

AsaD

Neha

zule

Girly

Ari

Anna-lena

Iceberg

Moonlight

Adele

Geel

linnea

melas

shama

CrazyLover

Banjax

AlOn3

Preety

Decent

Banjax

Tamanna

hi_guys

sweetgirl

ThE_BeAsT

uNdErTaKeR

Dream^Dealer

Carolinemn

Dream^Dealer

Camilla

(ASSISTANT HOSTS)

Weird

Soulja

one-x

shaymin

Puss

Noble

Top posters
ThE_BeAsT (32)
FAQ on IRC chat Vote_lcap1FAQ on IRC chat Voting_barFAQ on IRC chat Vote_rcap 
hi_guys (17)
Ariba_khan (17)
^Shaymin^ (13)
Mike (10)
Asad (4)
XxDownAndOutxX (3)
Shama Muhammad Ismail (2)
Carolinemn (2)
gumnam (2)

Latest topics
» Carolinemns juicy log
FAQ on IRC chat EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 am by Carolinemn

» Introduction
FAQ on IRC chat EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 9:44 pm by XxDownAndOutxX

» Radio Station
FAQ on IRC chat EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 9:43 pm by XxDownAndOutxX

» New Member :P
FAQ on IRC chat EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 9:39 pm by XxDownAndOutxX

» Asad Sa3eed
FAQ on IRC chat EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 12:09 pm by Asad

Shoutbox1

ShoutMix chat widget

FAQ on IRC chat

Go down

FAQ on IRC chat Empty FAQ on IRC chat

Post  hi_guys Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:34 am

This FAQ is for windows based irc clients unlike other FAQs which are written for UNIX.

(1) What is IRC?

IRC stands for "Internet Relay Chat". It was originally written by Jarkko Oikarinen in 1988. Since starting in Finland, it has been used in over 60 countries around the world. IRC is a multi-user chat system, where people meet on Channels (rooms, virtual places, usually with a certain topic of conversation) to talk in groups, or privately. There is no restriction to the number of people that can participate in a given discussion, or the number of channels that can be formed on IRC. (Read more on how IRC started in http://www.mirc.co.uk/jarkko.txt and jarkko2.txt)

(2) How is IRC set up?

As a user you run a Client program which connects to a Server in an IRC network. All servers are interconnected and pass messages from user to user over the IRC network. One server can be connected to several other servers and up to hundreds of clients. Several larger and smaller IRC networks exist. The largest ones, called EFnet (Eris Free net), IRCnet, Undernet and Dalnet usually serve about 20000 users at any given moment. Lots of other ones are a little less populated but often offer more stability and convenience.

(3) What does a client do? What is the purpose of a server?

An IRC client reads in the commands and text that you supply to it, and parses them. It filters them and performs the appropriate actions, and if necessary, passes them on to your IRC server. An IRC server can serve many other clients. The server holds information about the channels and people on IRC, as well as other pieces of information, and is also responsible for routing your messages to other users. The IRC Network itself consists of multiple servers which are all connect to each other.

(4) How do I get on IRC?

First, you have to make sure an IRC Client is installed on your system. If you do not have one you should ask your local system admin to install a client on your PC or local area network. If you have a stand-alone PC with internet acces you have to obtain and install a client yourself. (dont worry ..its easy!) Go toINSTALLING CHAT, for detailed instructions.

(5) Where can I find an IRC client?

Popular IRC clients (in no particular order) : WSIRC, mIRC, InteRfaCe and ChatMan. You can get an IRC client by anonymous ftp from several sites (use the one closest to you) If you are not familiar with anonymous ftp, ask your network provider for assistance. FTP sites are :

ftp://ftp.undernet.org/pub/irc/clients/windows/
ftp.bu.edu/irc/clients/pc/windows/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">ftp://cs-ftp.bu.edu/irc/clients/pc/windows/
ftp://papa.indstate.edu/winsock-l/winirc/
ftp://ftp.winsite.com/pub/pc/win3/winsock/

You can also visit the programs' World Wide Web pages to download the clients:
WSIRC http://ftp.clark.net/pub/csamsi/home.html
mIRC http://www.mirc.co.uk/index.html
mIRC http://www.nip.nl/mirc/index.html
mIRC http://www.geocities.com/~mirc/index.html
InteRfaCe http://www.hijinx.com.au/interfac/interfac.htm
ChatMan http://www.uai.cl/~burton/chatman/
Virc http://www.megalith.co.uk/virc/
Pirch http://www.bcpl.lib.md.us/~frappa/pirch.html

All major FTP sites have some /windows/irc/ directory you can check for IRC programs. Once you have installed and run a simple IRC program, it is easy to ask for and get (!) a better one on IRC !!

(6) What else do I need before I can install an IRC client?

Besides running MS-Windows you need to have a properly installed WINSOCK. If you can use FTP, E-mail, News or other Internet programs from within Windows already, you can safely assume you have a winsock installed and it is working properly. If you do not have a properly working winsock installed on your PC you should install one first. Most Windows 3.1x users use the Trumpet winsock package. Windows95 users can use the Dial Up Networking module that is included in Windows95.

(7) How do I install this client that I found?

Most programs on the internet are transported in a compressed form. The better programs come in self extracting .exe files that also install the program for you. mIRC is one of these programs coming in an 'auto-everything' package. Just run the cabinet you downloaded and off you go!
Sometimes you first have to unzip the file to be able to run the program in it. A good unzipper can be found at http://www.winzip.com/. Once unzipped, installing an IRC client (like any program) is mainly a matter of running its setup program or simply placing the files in a separate directory and running the program. After installation, you may have to specify some personal information before you can connect to an IRC server. For detailed instructions read the help files included in the programs (typically a .hlp file or readme.txt). Some IRC clients, like mIRC, have their own FAQ that provides detailed help. Reading such FAQ's is highly recommended!

(Cool What do I have to fill in in the client's Setup menu?

The first time you run your IRC client program you have to fill in some information about yourself, such as, your Internet address and the IRC server with which you want to connect. Your client may also have a section for you to specify the Port, Password, Real name, Email address, Nickname(s), IP address and Local Host name. These options are usually found under File/Setup/.

(9) Which server should I connect my client to?

It's usually best to try and connect to a geographically close server, even though that may not always be the best. Local (nearby) servers will normally work faster for you and will give you unrestricted access. You can always ask for suggestions on nearby server addresses when you log on to IRC.

(10) What is the port number to use to connect to IRC?

In general, the port number to use is 6667. Some, but not all, servers listen to other ports (most commonly in the 6665-6670 range). When in doubt, select port 6667 (Dalnet usually uses port 7000). A port number should be seen as an entrance to a server. If you take the wrong entrance (port) the server will not understand what you are doing, and will disconnect you.

(11) Do I need a password to connect to irc?

Normally you do not need a password to use an IRC server. Most servers allow anonymous access. If you do not have a password for an IRC server then leave the password entry field blank. If you are prompted for a login or password and you dont know what to type, try to connect to another server.

(12) Do I have to give my real name?

No, you do not -have- to give your real name. However, simply filling in nonsense will not make you anonymous. IRC is not inteded to keep you hidden from your friends or enemies. Keep this in mind if you are tempted to behave maliciously. A fake "real name" can be a good way to mask your gender from all the nerds out here ;o) but the PC you use can always be traced so you will never be truly anonymous. Please note, most people can only be traced to their Internet Service Provider, and no further. If you use your email or ISP login name for your identity, then you can be traced to your PC. Change your user name in the Chat program Options if you desire. My login name is pcarr@visuallink.com for my ISP, so I usually change it to pete@visuallink.com or pjc@visuallink.com.

(13) Do I have to fill in my E-mail address in the setup?

Assuming you have an E-mail account somewhere you should fill in the address you can be reached at by mail. In case you do not have an E-mail address you can just fill in your name.

(14) What is a nickname?

On IRC you are known to others by a nickname. You are free to choose any nickname you like, up to 9 characters long. Do not use spaces and avoid unusual ASCII characters in your nickname. It is very common to find people that use the same nickname and you may be asked or choose to switch nicknames to avoid confusion. Only on some IRC networks nicknames can be Owned.

(15) What is my IP Address?

Your IP Address is the address your PC uses on the Internet. It is usually a set of 4 numbers or its equivalent IP Name. Some providers offer you a unique IP Address (static IP) or they assign a different one every time you connect (dynamic IP) to them. With Dynamic IP addresses you have to make sure your client automatically looks up your current IP Address and your Local Host name each time you connect to IRC.

(16) What is my Local Host name?

The Local Host name is the name you or your provider assigned to your PC. It can be a single word or a name equivalent to your IP Address.

(17) I tried to connect to a server and received a "Connection refused," "Connection timed out" or "Unknown host" message.

First of all, always try some other IRC Servers when you are unable to access your favorite one. The server, its machine or the route to the server may just be down or broken. When using a new server name you should make sure a server with the specified name actually exists. The server name you specified could be wrong. If the server exists, you can then try the numeric address of the server rather than its symbolic one (e.g 131.174.124.9 for irc.sci.kun.nl). This will solve problems if your Domain Name Server is down, slow, does not understand the name you gave it or cannot translate it into a numeric address.

(18) When I connect I get a "Not enough user parameters" error?

A "Not enough user parameters" error will occur if you try to connect to a server but you did not have the Local Host name filled in, or had it filled in incorrectly. Check your entry in your client's setup menu. Also check if you supplied your client with a valid E-Mail address.

(19) How do I solve the "You haven't registered" error?

This is a server message to you, it has nothing to do with registering or paying for your IRC client. If you receive this message or if you get disconnected very quickly, your Local Host name or IP Address may be wrong, or not filled in at all. Look in your client's setup dialog and check if the Local Host is correct and if the IP Address is filled in correctly. An easy way to solve an incorrect IP Address is to set the 'On connect, always get' "IP Address" and "Local Host" to "ON" and restart your client. If this does not help you could be trying to connect to a NON-public server. Try another server to be sure.

(20) I get disconnected at startup.... What does "--- Ghosts are not allowed on IRC." mean? What does "--- You are not welcome on this server." mean?

"Ghosts are not allowed on IRC" means that you are banned from using that server. You cannot be completely banned from IRC. Banning exists only on a per-server basis (being banned on one server does not mean you are automatically banned from another). When you're banned you can not use a server. Alternatively IRC servers can accept you under resticted access only. Banning is in one of three forms:

- You are banned specifically, you yourself. Only you can be responsible for this (if you are using a shared account or dynamic IP addressing, this obviously does not apply). The responsibility lies completely with you and you have no one to complain to.
- Your machine is banned. Chances are, you committed no wrongdoing. Try using another machine on the network if you have one and seeing if you can use that particular irc server.
- Your whole site is banned (where "site" is a "school", "company", "country" or "provider"). This almost certainly is not your fault. Chances of geting the server-ban lifted are slim. Try using another server.

The most general answer is "use another server", but if it bothers you, try writing to the irc administrator of that site (type /admin servername). Be polite in explaining your case.

(21) I get disconnected at startup.... What does "Closing Link (No more connections)" mean?

Most servers can only accomody a maximum amount of IRC users. This is why they sometimes refuse access to you, and close the link at startup. Since servers reserve connections to local users you are more often refused when you are far apart from the server you're trying to connect to.' New developments of the IRC protocol (the so called Bounce-line) make it possible that a server automagically forwards you to a server that is not as buzy and/or more nearby to you thus effectively preventing your disconnection.

(22) What is K-lined? Why can't I connect to certain IRC servers? Why do some servers disconnect me?

Some servers restrict access to local users and might therefore close or not even accept a connection from you. Bad behavior by you or your friends, customers from your provider or an entire country may also be restrcited from using certain servers. In each case, an attempt to connect will result in a response similar to the following:

--- Attempting to connect (irc.network.net)
Local host: cheops (131.69.136.12)
Catch22 You are banned from this server
Closing Link: Catch22 [ student.uni.nl ] (K-lined)
--- Disconnected

Getting disconnected with the "No authorization" message occurs due to a similar reason. The server does not give your site access. A server administrator can choose which sites can connect to his server via "I - lines" (called invitation lines). Many servers only I-line local sites so you should try to use a server close to you.

(23) Can our Firewall or Proxy be blocking my IRC session?

Yup, that is very well possible.... I only know of mIRC as being working through SOCKS compliant (compatible) firewalls at the moment. No other IRC clients support firewalls. You need a SOCKS compliant IRC client to be able to IRC over a firewall. Ask your internet provider or corporate network managers if you are behind a firewall and, if so, if using mIRC will allow you to use IRC.

As far as I know it is totally impossible to use IRC when you are behind a proxy. No proxy interface to IRC has been developed yet.

(24) OK, I've got a client installed and I'm connected to a server, but I got restricted access.

Servers can give you restricted access (usermode +r) if you're far away from them or if you or somebody from your site (read 20) messed up. When you have restricted access you can not be channel operator, you can not do mode changes and you can not change nickname but you can chat normally! Read more on http://www.funet.fi/~irc/server/restricted.html The only way to get unrestricted IRC access is to find another (more nearby) IRC server. Being restricted has nothing todo with what IRC client you use or with paying (or not yet) for shareware IRC clients like mIRC.

(25) OK, I've got a client installed and I'm connected to a server, now what?

It's probably best to take a look around and see what you want to do first. All IRC commands start with a "/", and most are one word. Typing /help will get you help information. /names will get you a list of all nicknames, /list will give you a list of channels, etc. The output of /list is typically something like this:

#hack 21 We are your worst nightmare !
#Nippon 53 Speak Japanese here please ?
#nicole 3
#hottub 76 Come in for a friendly chat.
#mirc 27 mIRC Homepage http://www-2.nijenrode.nl/software/mirc/
#irchelp 17 Ask all your IRC questions here.

(Note: There are sometimes thousands of channels, this is just a small example.) In this example "hack" is a channel name. "#" is the prefix. Follwing the channel name you will see the number of people on it as well as its topic. All channel names start with a # or &.

(26) What exactly is a channel?

A channel is a 'place' on IRC where group conversations occur. People can join the same channel and see each other. Depending on its topic and time of the day a channel can be VERY crowded. Channels can alsobe quite chaotic, or calm. Channels can be open to everyone but also closed and private and only open to friends. On the large IRC Networks (EFnet) as many as 2000 channels can exist, on smaller networks (corporate or even one-node-nets) there will be fewer channels. Channels on IRC are dynamic in the sense that anyone can create a new channel, and a channel disappears when the last person on it leaves. Once connected to an IRC server, type /list to see all existing channels. All channel names start with a # or a &. The # channels are globally available while the & channels are restricted to users on your local IRC server. For this moment you can forget about the & channels. If people speak of 'the IRC' they refer to the use of the globally available channels with names starting with a #. Whenever you want to refer to a channel's name, it should be prefixed with a # or &. You also need to use the name, including the # or &, to join a channel, to leave it, to set its parameters, etc. (see below)

(27) Now that I've decided on a nice channel. How do I join that channel? And what do I type once I get there? And when I'm done, how do I leave a channel?

To join a channel, type /join #channelname. Try "/join #irchelp" or "/join #mirc" to give it a try... That's it! Once you get to the channel, you will see people talking. It will probably look like this:

{ Avalon } AUUG is on at the same time as LISA this year and is cheaper.
{ Barron } backhaul those DS3s to Virginia Wink
{ Barron } buy a farm
{ FlashPYR } so is .us going to start charging $50/domain, too?
{ Barron } or something
{ Tolim } oops

Note that you will often come in during the -middle- of a conversation. Unless you're familiar with the channel you may want to sit and watch it for a minute or two to see what the conversation is about. Often the channel name (for instance, #Twilight_Zone) has nothing to do with what conversation goes on on the channel (#Twilight_Zone does -not- have discussion about the TV show "Twilight Zone"). So if you join #baseball, don't be surprised if you hear about the SuperBowl picks or even the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame Museum! To start talking, just type! And when you're done saying what you have to say, just hit the [ return ] key. (ENTER KEY). You can start with something simple like "hello!". You don't have to type <nickname> hello! because IRC will insert <nickname> before all of your channel messages. In the channel window that opens once you join a channel you'll see an alphabetical list of people that are on the channel on the right side of the window. Some of them have a @ in front of their name to point out they are the Channel Operators. If you are using MICROSOFT COMIC CHAT, a hammer will show who is the channel Operators.A Channel Operator is someone who has control over a specific channel. A Channel Operator can also decide if control is shared or not. The first person to join the channel automatically receives Channel Operator status. In the channel's title bar you will see the channel's name and perhaps its topic. If you choose to leave a channel, just type /part #channelname

(28) Ok, now what are the most basic commands?

The IRC commands are available by typing /msg chanserv help. so feel free to use it.
also these commands have been posted on this forum in the mirc help section.
hi_guys
hi_guys

Back to top Go down